Homeowners often underestimate the importance of garage door maintenance and repair. As a responsible homeowner, you need to inspect and maintain your garage door occasionally, just like to service your vehicle for its functional and long life. In this article, I will explain to you the different phases of garage door repair and its importance. There are plenty of garage door things which you should stress.
Needs for garage door repairs:
Before conducting garage door inspection, repair, or maintenance on your own, it is good to understand the mechanism and features garage door. Various types of garage door operating systems and materials are available to choose from. Overhead garage doors either roll up in multiply sections or swing up in one solid piece. Garage doors move on metal tracks along with a wall. The works on garage door springs which either placed at the center point or at both sides of a garage door. In most cases, garage door service is needed to fix the metal tracks or springs. There are plenty of garage door companies like, Upa & Over Garage Door Repair of Atlanta which offer valuable and fast services to restore the functionality of garage door.
- First of all, you should check the metal tracks of the garage door. Inspect the mounting brackets thoroughly. During garage door services, you should tighten all the loose hardware including screws, bolts, and nuts which holds the brackets with the walls. These metal tracks should be observed to find out any occurrences of crimps, dents, or any other flat spots. These dents can be made smoother using a rubber mallet. A piece of wood and a hammer will also help you. If tracks are damaged beyond fixing or got rusted, they should be replaced immediately.
- In the second stage of garage door services, you will have to inspect the garage door tracks to make sure that they are aligned properly. Normally, the horizontal tracks should be placed slightly down forward. The right direction of the tracks should be adjusted towards the backside of the garage. In the case of a roll-ups garage door, the vertical sections of the garage door should be parallel to each other. If you realize that the tracks of the garage door are not properly adjusted or aligned, you just need to lose the hardware including screws and nuts which holds the mounting brackets. Afterward, tap the tracks slightly to their right position to make them aligned.
- In the next stage of garage door services, clean the garage door tracks using a mild household cleaner to remove accumulated dirt and grease. Don’t forget to clean the rollers properly. After washing, wipe them with a cotton cloth to make them dry completely. Once garage door tracks are properly cleaned, lubricate them thoroughly. Use lubrication spray, silicone spray, or any powdered graphite for this purpose.
- The next step of garage door services relates to hardware. Inspect the garage door carefully, if you found any loose hardware within machinery, they should be tightened. Check the torsion springs to determine whether they are mounted properly or not. You should also check the hinges, screws, bolts, and nuts. Tighten them if needed.
- The last step of garage door maintenance involves the performance of springs. There may need to shift the spring to the next hole or notch in order to adjust the tension. If you have a roll-up garage door, you will have to adjust the tension of springs by pulling the metal cable through the plate.